Thursday, September 29, 2011

We need Young Leaders...

Dr. Thornton is a Morehouse and Howard graduate. It would have been very interesting to hear him speak during the football classic week. During his lecture, he preached about the importance of freshman seminar. He told us how both of his daughter took the class and that it enriched their lives. He believes that you get your beginning in freshman seminar. Throughout his lecture he preached that we need new young replacement leaders and that we are apart of the talented 10th. I learned about the talented 10th in High School and I always wondered who was in that category. It was a real eye opener when he stated that WE were in that extraordinary group. And when I thought of the statistics of blacka in college in my head, I realized, he was right. I never thought that realistically I was apart of that group, however, I am!! He also spoke on other topics like one's choice in friends, which is an excellent topic for college freshman. Your choice in friends can affect many of your decisions and possibly your entire life. At the end of his lecture he opened the floor for questions and I really liked the fact that he did so because it created an open dialogue and made the students engage more into what he was speaking about. Some of the questions that were asked were about urban public schools and issues with public health care. Although, throughout the lecture I sometimes thought I was listening to a Baptist preacher, his speech had valid points.

Parker Gilkesson
@02660576
Group 19

No comments:

Post a Comment